Garden City, KS(westernkansasnews.com) A Garden City man suffered severe burns during a structure fire early Sunday morning. On April 8 at 4:10 a.m. Garden City Police responded to 2801 N 8th St. Lot 4 for a reported structure fire.
When Officers arrived on the scene, they located a 21-year-old male suffering from severe burns. The fire was extinguished before Officers arrival, but still smoldering. The injured person was treated on scene by Finney County EMS and transported to St. Catherine Hospital; he was then flown to Via Christi Hospital Burn Unit in Wichita Kansas for treatment.
The investigation revealed the homeowner was using kerosene camping lanterns for warmth inside the mobile home and determined to be the cause of the fire.
The residence sustained minimal structural damage to the kitchen floor, front door, and side wall.
No further information will be released; this incident is non-criminal activity.