On November 17, 2019, at approximately 9:30 A.M., the Garden City Police Department,
Garden City Fire Department, and Finney County EMS were dispatched to 302 E Olive
Street in reference to a structure fire. Upon arrival, officers located a fire in the rear of the
residence. The Garden City Fire Department was able to distinguish the fire. However,
there was significant damage caused to the residence, and the American Red Cross arrived
on the scene to offer their assistance.
The owner of the residence was out of town, and there was no one inside the residence
when the fire started. Through investigation, officers learned a family member, watching
the residence, was utilizing a heat lamp in the rear of the residence, which was said to have been the cause of the fire.