February 24, 2024

Scott City Rallies Against Beloit in Battle of Unbeatens


Beloit, Kan. (westernkansasnews.com)–After trailing 18-14 at halftime, the Scott City Beavers scored 21 unanswered points and shut town the Beloit rushing attack to vault them into a state championship game for the first time since 1994, with a 42-26 victory over the Beloit Trojans Friday night at Trojan Stadium.

Both teams would score on their opening plays, both in four plays. It was the Trojans putting up the first points, as Bowe Behymer ran it in from 73 yards out with 10:39 to go in the opening quarter. Beloit’s two-point conversion failed making it 6-0 Trojans. Scott City would respond 58 seconds later, with a 45-yard run by Dalton Buehler. Brett O’Neil’s extra point made it 7-6 Beavers after one quarter.

In the second quarter, the Trojans would score twice. Their first one came with 10:24 left before halftime on a Payton Vetter 13-yard quarterback scramble. It was 12-7 Beloit after the missed two-point conversion. With 3:31 remaining before halftime, the Beavers retook the lead, when Brett O’Neil found a wide open Drew Kite from six yards out. O’Neil would boot in the PAT to make it 14-12 Scott City. On the ensuing drive, Vetter found the end zone once again with 39 seconds remaining in the half on a three-yard run on fourth and goal to give Beloit an 18-14 lead at the break.

After both teams were stopped on their opening drives of the half, the Beavers would take the lead for good. At the 5:45 mark of the third quarter, Brett O’Neil found Tyler Hess on a 41-yard touchdown pass. O’Neil’s extra point made it 21-18 Scott City. With 3:27 remaining in the third period, the Beavers found the end zone on just two plays, as Dalton Buehler broke through a pair of tackles for a 15-yard run, and O’Neil’s extra point kick made it 28-18 heading into the final quarter of play.

The fourth quarter saw Scott City tack on two more scores. With 8:31 remaining in the game, Brett O’Neil hooked up with Drew Kite for a 20-yard pass, as O’Neil floated the pass over two Trojan defenders to Kite. Brett tacked on the extra point give the Beavers a three-score lead at 35-16. After a roughing the passer on Scott City and a facemask penalty against Beloit that were offsetting penalties, the Trojans quickly responded the very next play. At the 8:05 mark of the fourth quarter, Payton Vetter hit Stanten Krone on a 76-yard screen pass. The Trojans would convert their first and only two-point conversion, as Vetter found RJ Jackson five yards deep in the end zone to cut the Beaver lead to 35-26. Whatever momentum Beloit had at that time would come to a screeching halt. On the ensuing kickoff, Dalton Buehler capped off the scoring on the night with a 90-yard kickoff return to paydirt. O’Neil booted in the PAT to make it 42-26 Scott City. The Beavers were able to force two more Trojan turnovers late in the game to seal a trip to Hutchinson next Saturday.

Brett O’Neil was 10-of-18 for 178 yards with three touchdown passes, and his second interception of the game. Dalton Buehler had 222 yards on 24 carries unofficially with three rushing scores and a kickoff return for a touchdown. Scott City was able to force three Beloit turnovers, as Brett O’Neil had two interceptions and Brenner Wells recovered a fumble late in the game.

Scott City is 13-0, and will face a 13-0 Silver Lake Eagle team next Saturday at 1 pm at Gowan Stadium in Hutchinson. The Eagles defeated rival Rossville for the second time this season 35-14, and will be playing in their 10th 3A state title game in 11 seasons. They have one the championship game just two times in that span. Beloit ended their season at 12-1.

 Glenn O’Neil Postgame

Leave a Reply