February 27, 2024

Help Available in Caring For Older Family Members

Dodge City, KS (westernkansasnews.com) Caring for an aging loved one is never easy, but for those confused about what to do there is help available. To determine the level of care the elderly person needs, Western Kansas Ombudsman Jan Scoggins gives this advice.



The search for a care facility or services is never easy and if your loved one needs longterm care, keep this in mind.

If you are at a loss for what care facility is the right fit Scoggins has this suggestion.

Also attempt to ask residents about their experiences.

Every senior care facility is required to have a certain amount of staffing by law.  Check the staffing to resident ratio.  If you are forced to find a care facility the only way to get help from medicaid is to reach a certain level of assets. Scoggins explains.

Scoggins believes get everything in line early with the Kansas Department of Aging.

For more information call 800-432-3535 or 620.225.2439; email jan.scoggins@da.ks.gov 

*On-air story*