(westernkansasnews.com) With the Fourth of July weekend being one of the busiest travel holidays of the year Menards is offering some travel safety tips.
Plan your accommodations in advance
- Do research on any hotels you will be staying at using websites
- Make and confirm reservations
- Consider downloading a travel guide
Choose your transportation wisely
- Travel in a vehicle that is in good condition
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle that includes a backup battery for your cell phone, first aid kit, non-perishable foods, blankets, a flashlight,
jumper cables and a tire gauge
Create an itinerary and leave it with a friend or family member.
- Include when you are leaving and coming back and anywhere you will be
- Try to check in with your emergency contact daily
- Bring necessary documents such as driver’s license, passport and a credit
or debit card
- Have a list of important phone numbers available such as medical
Secure your home
- Unplug everything except the refrigerator or freezer
- Install timers on lights to make it look like someone is there
- Put motion detectors on your outside lights
- Install a programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature
- Keep valuables secured in a safe deposit box
Above all, keep yourself healthy by filling prescriptions in advance, eating right
and getting some appropriate exercise.