Two escape from house fire in Garden City
GARDEN CITY, Kan. — A 44-year old Garden City man woke up to his house full of smoke on Friday morning. The man acted quickly to make sure he got his granddaughter and him out of the house safely.
The Garden City Police Department and Fire Departments both responded to a call around 5:30 a.m. on Friday to the 1100 block of East Chestnut Street.
The man and his granddaughter evacuated safely out of the house, but watched their house completely engulf in flames.
The man was first awoken to the fire when he heard the fire alarm going off.
The Garden City Fire Department believes that the cause of the fire was from an unattended candle that was left going in a room of the house.