May 22, 2022

House fire in Garden City causes no injuries

(Special to westernkansasnews.com)

GARDEN CITY, Kan. — On January 3, 2019, at approximately 3:15 P.M., Garden City Police, Garden City Firefighters, and Finney County EMS were dispatched to the area of 1100 East Chestnut St. for a reported explosion. Officers were told a house was on fire and
a possible gas line exploded.

As officers arrived, they could see smoke coming from the roof of the residence. The investigation revealed occupants of the residence, Donald Calhoun (65), and Richard Davis (43) were stripping floors with acetone. It is believed the flames from the furnace inside of the residence ignited the fumes from the acetone, causing the fire.

There were no other occupants inside of the residence at the time the fire started. There were no injuries reported at the time of the incident. EMS evaluated one subject on the scene. However, that subject was not transported to the hospital. Estimated loss is approximately $25,000.00.