The Kansas Department of Transportation has closed multiple roads in western Kansas, including I-70 from the Colorado state line to Russell, because of low visibility from blowing dust and crashes blocking the roadways. As of about 1:50 p.m. (subject to change) closures include:
In northwest Kansas:
- I-70 in BOTH DIRECTIONS from the Colorado state line to Russell.
- ALL state routes in the following counties: Cheyenne, Decatur, Gove, Logan, Rawlins, Sheridan, Sherman, Thomas and Wallace.
In southwest Kansas:
- The KHP has closed U.S. 54 at milepost 33 about three miles east of Plains in Meade County due to low visibility.
- All highways out of Ulysses closed due to blowing dirt – includes U.S. 160 east and west as well as K-27 north and south.
- K-25 is closed at milepost 38 in Grant County, from the Stevens/Grant county line north to Ulysses due to traffic crash.
- K-25 is closed in the city of Lakin due to debris on the highway.
- U.S. 83 is closed about seven miles south of Garden City due to downed power line.
- K-96 from the Colorado state line to K-27 at Tribune is closed.
- U.S. 50 from K-27 to K-25 is closed.
More closures are occurring as the afternoon progresses. For up-to-date information on road closures and road conditions, visit www.kandrive.org, or call 511 in Kansas or 866-511-5368 outside Kansas.