Garden City, Kan (WesternKansasNews.com)-On January 7, 2022, at around 11:40 A.M., Officers of the Garden City Police Department, Garden City Fire Department, and Finney County EMS were dispatched to 3201 N. Campus Drive (The Reserves at Prairie Ridge Apartments) for a structure fire.q
When first responders arrived, they observed smoke coming from an apartment in Building #500, with the sprinkler system going off. An occupant from the apartment had already evacuated. Officers evacuated the rest of the apartments in Building #500.
The investigation revealed that a small grease fire started in the kitchen and spread to the surrounding cabinets before the sprinkler system activated and extinguished the fire. It was determined the cause of the fire was accidental.
The estimated damage caused by the fire is approximately $50,000. There were no injuries reported from the incident.