February 29, 2024

Red Demons edge Heights in OT

Foster Post Game: https://soundcloud.com/user-197579773/dchs-football-week-3-dodge-city-26-wichita-heights-23-coach-dave-foster-postgame

Beau Foster Post Game: https://soundcloud.com/user-197579773/dchs-football-week-3-dodge-city-26-wichita-heights-23-beau-foster-post-game

Jose Valverde Post Game: https://soundcloud.com/user-197579773/dchs-football-week-3-dodge-city-26-wichita-heights-23-jose-valverde-post-game

Full Game Highlights: https://soundcloud.com/user-197579773/dchs-football-week-3-dodge-city-26-wichita-heights-23-full-game-highlights

WICHITA, Kan. — The Dodge City Red Demons defeated the Wichita Heights Falcons, 26-23 in overtime on Friday night, giving Dodge City their first 3-0 start since 2010. Senior quarterback Beau Foster delivered a stiff arm and then dove towards the end zone to deliver the game winning touchdown from five yards out.

The win also gave head coach Dave Foster his 50th as the head coach of the Red Demons.

“I’m not keeping track,” Foster said. “I was just trying to get one.”

Foster achieved the accomplishment on the same field his 2010 team lost in the 6A state semifinals to Wichita Heights. The crazier thing was where the game winning touchdown was scored on Friday night was the same corner where a controversial call went against the Red Demons back in 2010. 

“I can promise you that corner of that end zone brought back memories,” Foster said. “I really didn’t think about it until I saw Beau bounce that thing and I thought that corner of the end zone owed us something.” 

The Red Demons forced overtime after a 49-yard field goal from sophomore kicker Jose Valverde with 16 seconds remaining tied the game up at 20 apiece. That was Valverde’s second field goal of the game after knocking in one from 36 yards out earlier. Valverde felt no pressure under the lights with a chance to send the game to overtime.

Heights got the football to begin overtime and went three plays and five yards, before settling for a field goal to go up 23-20. Dodge City’s first offensive play in overtime was a run from junior running back Alden Knedler up the middle for five yards, followed by an incomplete pass in the back of the end zone. That set up a 3rd & Goal at the 5-yard line. Foster took the snap, faked the hand off to Knedler and then bounced it outside on the right side and stiff armed a Falcon defender to the turf and then the rest is history. 

“I knew I needed to just get yards,” Foster said. “I thought maybe I could beat him to the edge. I kind of stumbled and was like ‘I don’t know’ so I laid out and stuck the ball out there and touchdown.”

Dodge City was down 20-17 with 1:55 to go in the fourth quarter, before moving the ball down the field and setting up Valverde’s field goal. The Red Demons trailed 6-0 after the first quarter, but were able to grab a score in the second to give them a 7-6 lead going into the halftime break. After a Valverde 36-yard field goal and another rushing score by the Falcons, Heights led 13-10 after three quarters. 

Dodge City (3-0) will open up Western Athletic Conference play on Friday as they play host to Great Bend (2-1) at Memorial Stadium for Homecoming. Great Bend enters the game after suffering their first loss to 5A #2 Wichita Northwest last Friday.


DCHS 0 7 3 10 6 26
WHHS 6 0 7 7 3 23

WH – Reed 36 pass from Depperschmidt (Kick failed)

DC – Knedler 1 run (Valverde kick)

DC – Valverde 36 field goal

WH – Hanks 10 run (Claassen kick)

DC – Knedler 2 run (Valverde kick)

WH – Sanders 3 run (Claassen kick)

DC – Valverde 49 field goal

WH – Claassen 22 field goal

DC – Foster 5 run